Posted on Mar 29th, 2012
May 29th 2014 at 3:14pm
FlitterWeb - The Index of the Internet
Hey, folks! I have some exciting news for you today, an announcement that hopefully will help both me and you in the years to come!
Last week, I launched a brand new website business. The site is called FlitterWeb, and it's a website-review site where users can share, review, and discover new websites, webseries, webcomics, and other online content. So if you're looking for a rare bookstore online, or a writer's group for your new screenplay, you can read some reviews and find the right one.
I'm really aiming to make this site into a "going operation," so to speak, and as such I am trying to build the userbase as much as possible. I already have dozens of websites in the system and ready to be reviewed, ranging from reddit to Netflix to xkcd, but I need people to sign up and write reviews. It doesn't matter for what, you can feel free to focus on Edgeworks-related sites like Rooster Teeth or Machinima.com, or you can branch off toward Epic Rap Battles of History or Pinterest.
You can even review Edgeworks Entertainment itself!
Every review will be appreciated, and if you share the link to the site on FB and Twitter, even better! And, as an added bonus, if you have a website yourself (or a friend does), writing three reviews unlocks the ability to submit sites to the database, so go get the word out about your own projects!
The Edgeworks community has been the most loyal and wonderful fanbase anyone could ever hope for, and I can't think of a better way of launching my new site than by enlisting your aid. Thank you all, and good luck with everything you're working on!
Feb 10th 2014 at 1:12am
Looking Forward, Looking Back
Hey, folks! Things have gotten pretty quiet in these parts, but it's February 9th, and that means we have cause to celebrate!
This year I've got a blast from the past for you: while combing through old hard drives and consolidating folders, I recently came across all the old files from The Codex. That's right, the place where it all began, nine years ago to the day. Among those files I re-discovered something that I have long thought forgotten: the Codex DVD. We used to give them out for a while as free gifts for sponsors, and while we sadly can't do that anymore thanks to copyright issues, I thought it only fitting that we make the feature-length cut of The Codex available to everyone this year!
From the very first day of production, we had always considered The Codex to be a single piece released in sections, rather than a truly episodic story. It's meant to be watched straight-through, and now, that's exactly what you can do!
We're also releasing a second version to our Sponsors, a feature-length cut with a Director's Commentary by yours truly, which can give you a whole lot of insight into the production, the creative decisions, and the experience of making our biggest hit to date. It's a bit of a trip to hear myself doing this commentary, so many years later, but it contains several stories and anecdotes that I had even forgotten myself, so I hope you all find it entertaining and informative!
I also have one more thing to share with you all, something more to do with the future rather than the past: I have recently started a blog, and I'd love for you to check it out. It's a place where I can relate my experiences trying to work my way into the film/television industry, share snippets and samples of projects I'm working on, and hopefully start a dialogue with the community about the things going on with my career. It's not a diary or a personal journal, this is a place for me to share my professional experiences and get feedback to help me hone my skills. And given that you all are my biggest and most loyal fans, I would love to get your impressions of my latest projects more than any others!
Edgeworks is, was, and always will be the place for my filmmaking endeavors. It's definitely been slow since League, and for several years before that, but I'm not finished yet and this will continue to be the place to find my movies. But I'm also a writer, an app developer, a web designer, and any number of other things, and AlexanderWinn.com will be the place to find out about those other efforts.
For example, right now you can follow along with a bi-weekly series I've been writing called Q'art Hadash, following the events of an RPG I've been running with several members of the League cast. I'd love to get your feedback in the comments section of any post I make, and of course any articles or stories that you deem share-worthy, I'd love for you to share!
Edgeworks has had, and continues to have, the very best fanbase in the world. I've always said that my biggest source of pride from running this company was that our community drew in thoughtful, creative, and articulate people from all over the world, while the rest of the Internet (let's just face it) is kind of like a cross between The Coneheads and an anarchist riot. I am so grateful to those of you who have been a part of our community these past nine years, for those of you who remain with us nine years later, for those of you who continue to support us (we still sell Codex and Heretic soundtracks multiple times a month!), and for those of you who enjoyed our work. February 9th is about you, much more than it is about us, and I for one just want to say thank you, all of you, for sharing this experience with us.
Happy February 9th!
Jul 29th 2013 at 7:26pm
Apps Like Whoah!
So, as many of you know, in addition to being a writer and filmmaker, I am also a programmer in several languages. Most recently, I have gotten into Objective-C for iOS and Mac. I recently announced the official app of Edgeworks Entertainment, and now I have a HUGE update for you all.
For the last two months, I have poured all my energy into making apps. And in that time, I have created eight new apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Mac. They range from productivity and networking tools to zombie simulator games, and there are more on the way. These apps are my latest attempt to generate some passive income, which will help me fund my more complex projects like webseries and feature films. And more importantly (and excitingly): they're beginning to work. The random downloads that happen from being a part of the App Store are starting to take hold, and each day I'm making more money than the last.
I've been so focused on making them, though, that I haven't quite gotten around to MARKETING them, until now. I am making a big push to get the word out about these apps and drum up as many downloads as I can. My first step: get my loyal Edgeworks fans to try them out, and recommend them to others. So here they are, my entire portfolio to date:
• Zombified - An exercise in world-destruction, Zombified is a zombie apocalypse simulator that takes in user-defined variables and then generates an automatic, step-by-step look at the end of the world. Build a population of procedurally-generated civilians, drop in a zombie and watch the events unfold! With global headlines you can follow along with every attack, and watch as the survivors fall before the horde and then struggle to turn the tide. And by importing your contacts, your friends will be a part of the simulation! Watch them flee for their lives or stand and fight, and who knows who will be alive by the end!
• Tabular/Tabular Pro - Tabular is the best way to keep track of who owes you money, and who you owe in return. Tabular interfaces directly with your Address Book, so you can associate each entry with a specific person. No more shuffling through stacks of receipts or trying to remember who bought the last pizza, with Tabular it's all organized and recorded for you, with picture thumbnails automatically pulled from your Contacts for easy navigation. And for those who always want to be up-to-date, Tabular Pro is ad-free and backs up and syncs your records automatically through iCloud.
• Dossier - Dossier is the essential networking tool for professionals. Centered around the people in your Address Book, Dossier allows you to keep track of how you met your most important contacts, what their goals are, what you've discussed, and any other important piece of information you'd like to remember. Never be unprepared for a meeting again: just glance at Dossier and you'll be back up to speed, no matter how much time has passed since your last encounter. No more forgetting important events or back-tracking through old conversations, with Dossier you'll be moving forward with every step.
• Edgeworks Entertainment - The official app of Edgeworks Entertainment is now available on the App Store! Completely custom-coded by Alexander Winn, this app pulls content straight from EdgeworksEnt.com so you're always up-to-date with the latest news, videos, and community interactions from your favorite new media production company. Read the latest news; browse our library of webseries; stream videos straight to your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad; share them your friends using AirPlay on an AppleTV; and browse the hundreds of thousands of posts on our community forums, all right from the palm of your hand.
• tellYouWhat/tellYouWhat Pro/tellYouWhat Pro for Mac - Keep your thoughts organized with these person-oriented note-taking apps! tellYouWhat interfaces directly with your Address Book, allowing you to seamlessly add people and begin jotting down thoughts, reminders, lists and more! Keep notes at a meeting, remember ideas for future discussion, or even record a kind gesture or a birthday gift idea, all tied intuitively to the person's name. With a streamlined interface, thumbnail photos and an alphabetical list centered around the names of the people your notes are about, tellYouWhat handles your organization and lets you to focus on the big picture.
You can also browse my whole iOS portfolio on iTunes, or check out everything I'm working on (from apps to movies to websites and more) at the new AlexanderWinn.com.
Please, please, PLEASE help spread the word about these apps, especially Zombified (as it is my bestseller and the one with the widest audience). Share them on Facebook, leave 5-star ratings and glowing reviews, upvote them on reddit, tweet about them, show them to your friends, anything you can think of. Smoke signals and carrier pigeons, the works. The more money I can make from these, the more time and resources I can put into webseries and movies for Edgeworks, along with the other exciting projects I have lined up! Plus, you'll be doing me a great favor, and I cannot express how grateful I will be for your help.
Thank you, so much, in advance to any-and-everyone who helps spread the word about Zombified and the rest of my app collection, and I look forward to hearing what you think about them!
May 29th 2013 at 2:00pm
Edgeworks Goes Mobile
Hey, folks. I have some exciting news for you today, especially for all of you with iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads!
As you may know if you've checked out AlexanderWinn.com lately, I've been learning how to develop apps for Mac OS X and iOS. I've got a bunch of ideas all ready to be coded, and several already completed for my own personal use, but I thought that my first public iOS app on the App Store should be something special. And what could be more special than Edgeworks Entertainment?
And so, it is with great pleasure that I announce the official Edgeworks Entertainment iOS app! It has been approved and is ready to download right now onto your favorite iOS device.
Using this app, you can keep up-to-date with the latest Edgeworks news, browse our entire library of videos and stream them to your mobile device (or to an AppleTV using Airplay), and browse our entire forum. It's a handy little tool and getting better all the time, so check it out, spread the word, and don't forget to rate us on the App Store!
May 14th 2013 at 9:24pm
Hey, folks. Well it's been quiet around here for a little while, and while I fully expect to have more news to share before too long, I thought I'd let you all in on my other, non-Edgeworks-related projects.
I just finished a complete re-tooling of AlexanderWinn.com, so that it now shows off all of my many projects, with logos and descriptions and links. Feel free to check it out, so you can stay updated on not only my video projects (which will also be posted here on Edgeworks), but everything else I'm working on as well!
Find us on Facebook
Check this out...